Washington Legal Defense
Free Consultation
Silhouette of Sad Male

Can You Get Off the Washington Sex Offender Registry?

The sex offender registry can feel life a life-changing burden. It comes with a host of limitations as well as the annual reminder of registration renewal. Does it have to be this way forever? Is there any way off the Washington sex offender registry?

Hope for the Future

There is hope. In Washington state, people who meet the eligibility requirements and file a petition can earn relief from the sex offender registry. Most people on the sex offender registry can petition for relief after 10 years, provided they have not been convicted of any other crimes since that time.

However, people convicted of felony kidnapping or who are considered “sexually violent’ must wait 15 years without any other convictions before filing for relief. Additionally, people who must wait 15 years also need proof of residential treatment before filing their petition.

Making a Case

Eligibility to file a petition is not the same as earning relief. When considering petitions for relief from the sex offender registry, the court will consider the following factors:

1. Nature of the original crime and the number of victims.

2. Criminal history.

3. Compliance with a parole officer or other supervisors.

4. Time since the original charge.

5. Testimony from corrections officers

6. Testimony from the victim

7. Participation in reform treatments

8. The petitioner’s financial stability

9. The community’s support programs

10. Risk assessment

11. Polygraph test (a “lie-detector”)

12. Other relevant factors.

It’s crucial to go into these hearings as prepared as possible. An experienced criminal defense attorney can coach petitioners through the process and prepare them for filing their paperwork and ensuring a smooth court appointment.

If you’d like to review your eligibility for the sex offender registry, we can help. If you’d like to discuss your case with an experienced Tacoma criminal defense attorney from Hester Law Group to evaluate your case, please send us an email or call (253) 300-3034.