How To Choose An Attorney
We are here to make choosing an attorney simple.
With many different law firms throughout the Pugent Sound Region, you have many choices in who you hire to represent you. We recommend that you keep these factors in mind when considering your options:
- Approach your decision as a potential business relationship, not a potential friendship. While its important to have confidence in your Attorney, and to trust their judgment, work to keep your relationship professional.
- Avoid choosing a Lawyer based on a TV ad or a phonebook ad. These types tend not to impress a judge.
- Ask friends, relatives and acquaintances for recommendations.
- Use the Internet. Search Engines can help find lawyers in you region. Check ratings, and legal directories such as lawyers.com and avvo.com.
- Make sure your hire the attorney that you NEED. If you have specific legal need such as personal injury, make sure you hire an attorney who focuses and has experience in that specialty area. Different areas of law are extremely different from each other, and each is equally complex.
- Meet with each attorney to collect the facts and make an informed decision. Make sure you must feel comfortable enough to tell him or her, honestly and completely, all the facts necessary to resolve your problem.
- Consider payment terms and options. Hourly or percentage. If hourly there is typically a retainer due up front. Make sure you have an itemized list of what you can expect from your retainer.
- Perhaps most important factor to consider is attorney experience and track record. Consider the type of cases they have tried, and the outcomes. Make sure that you are hiring a firm you are confident can represent your needs. An attorney or firm with extensive experience in your area of need is a critical component for you to evaluate.
Other web suggestions to review when interviewing and hiring an attorney:
- Lawyers.com - Guide to selecting a lawyer includes 12 questions to ask your potential attorney, types of lawyers and detailed information about client rights.
- Ehow.com - This "How to choose a lawyer" page includes eight helpful tips to consider.
- Lawyershop.com - Guide to choosing a defense attorney offers a clear and concise overview.
- Legalmatch.com - This site offers its "20 Top Tips" for evaluating legal issues.
- Findlaw.com - Their general guide is helpful when starting to learning about different legal scenarios.